How to Use the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility to Uninstall AMD Drivers
By Kevin Arrows August 27, 2022
2 minutes read
Kevin is a certified Network Engineer
AMD is one of the two leading manufacturers of GPUs for computers right now, with hundreds of thousands of computers all across the globe using AMD graphics cards to render, display and manipulate graphics. For an AMD GPU to actually work, you need to have the right graphics drivers – the graphics drivers designed not only for that specific AMD GPU but also for the specific Operating System that is installed on your computer.
If something goes wrong or if you start experiencing a problem pertaining to graphics on a computer with an AMD graphics card, uninstalling and reinstalling the computer’s graphics drivers to see whether or not that sets things right if the best course of action. However, unfortunately, completely uninstalling AMD graphics drivers is not an easy task and requires a bit of technical expertise (which some users might not have). The AMD Clean Uninstall Utility is here to make uninstalling AMD graphics drivers and all the files and registry entries that come with them immensely easier, reducing the entire process to merely running an executable file on your computer.
The AMD Clean Uninstall Utility is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, and can be used to completely uninstall the graphics drivers for an AMD GPU, along with all related files and registry entries. Before running the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and uninstalling your graphics drivers, though, you should consider creating a system restore point just in case something goes wrong. To run the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and completely uninstall the AMD graphics drivers installed on a computer, you need to:
- Go here and click on the download link for the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility to download the utility.
- Wait for the utility to be downloaded.
- Once the utility has been downloaded, navigate to where it was downloaded to, locate it and double-click on it to run it.
- When you double-click on the downloaded file to run it, you should see a warning informing you that the utility will remove ALL AMD driver and application components – everything from GPU drivers to applications such as Control Center and HYDRAVISION. Read the warning and take note of it, and then click on OK.
- The utility will start running an excuse itself to your computer’s notification area, where it will continue to run in silence, with its progress being displayed whenever you hover over the AMD icon in the notification area.
The entirely of the uninstallation process is going to run in the background, and your display may flicker or go completely black for a few seconds (both of which are completely normal) during the process as the AMD graphics drivers on your computer are taken out of commission and uninstalled.
- When the uninstallation has been completed, the utility will display a message stating so, at which point you can click on View Report to see a list of all the components uninstalled by the utility.
You should only be using the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility to uninstall your graphics drivers if you were unable to uninstall them from Windows’ Program in Device Manager or from Programs and Features in the Control Panel, or if trying to uninstall the drivers using conventional methods failed to uninstall them entirely.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
AMD Clean Uninstall Utility fixes issues with AMD drivers
by Radu Tyrsina
CEO & Founder
Radu Tyrsina has been a Windows fan ever since he got his first PC, a Pentium III (a monster at that time). For most of the kids of… read more
XINSTALL BY CLICKING THE DOWNLOAD FILE
To fix various PC problems, we recommend DriverFix:
This software will keep your drivers up and running, thus keeping you safe from common computer errors and hardware failure. Check all your drivers now in 3 easy steps:
- Download DriverFix (verified download file).
- Click Start Scan to find all problematic drivers.
- Click Update Drivers to get new versions and avoid system malfunctionings.
- DriverFix has been downloaded by 0 readers this month.
As AMD graphics have grown in popularity on notebooks and desktop PCs today, its drivers have caused unnecessary hassles for users. Adding insult to injury is the technical expertise required to fix driver issues, something not all users may have. Fortunately, the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility can help you clear away and repair AMD driver files.
The AMD Clean Uninstall Utility tool allows you to easily uninstall AMD drivers and other registry files from your computer. The tool is compatible with Windows 10 Windows 8.1, and Windows 7. Remember to create a restore point before using AMD Clean Uninstall Utility, though.
After downloading the tool from AMD, run the executable file. Then a popup message will appear asking you to confirm to uninstall all AMD drivers and software.
How the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility works
- Click OK once a warning message shows up stating that the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility will remove AMD driver and application components.
- The utility will now be minimized to the system tray and the progress will be displayed as a tool tip.
- The uninstall process will run in the background. You can monitor its progress by hovering the mouse over the AMD icon in the notification area. You might notice that the display may flicker or turn black for a few seconds while the uninstall process is running. That’s normal.
- Once a message appears stating that the uninstall process is finished, click View Report to see which components were uninstalled.
Note that the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility should be secondary to Windows’ own Control Panel’s Programs and Features if it fails to uninstall AMD drivers. If you’ve already used the tool, share your thoughts about it in the comments down below.
- AMD’s latest Radeon FreeSync 2 offers better image quality for gamers
- Fix: AMD Driver Crash on Windows 10
- AMD updates its drivers to fix Battlefield 1 issues and other bugs
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven’t solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.
Was this page helpful?
There are 3 comments
Note! We have a separate article on our site that details how to log in to a system in secure mode. When using the AMD Cleanup Utility, we recommend that you review the information provided there.
Read more: How to enter safe mode on Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / XP
The uninstallation process is performed automatically, during which the utility is minimized to the system tray. The execution progress can be monitored using contextual hints that appear when you hover over the application icon. nine0003
Download AMD Cleanup Utility from the official website
Display Driver Uninstaller
Display Driver Uninstaller is a software specially designed to remove video card drivers that is not tied to a specific device model, so it can be used not only for AMD video chips. The application interface is a little overloaded with information blocks, but they help an inexperienced user not to get confused in the uninstallation procedure. Immediately after launch, you will need to select the manufacturer of the device, and then determine the mode of operation of the program. There are four options in total:
- «Uninstall and restart» — performs a standard uninstallation of drivers, after which it automatically restarts the computer;
- «Delete without reboot» — cleans up the software, but does not restart the computer;
- «Uninstall and shut down» — turns off the computer after uninstalling the drivers. It is convenient to use when performing the procedure before going to bed;
- «Delete installed driver cache/files» — clears temporary memory from files created while the driver is running. Helps in solving some specific errors that occur due to cache overflow. It is important to note that the software itself will not be uninstalled.
The Display Driver Uninstaller has an additional menu with options where you can set user preferences and change the uninstall behavior. An event log is also available, in which all actions taken by the program are automatically recorded during the uninstallation procedure. nine0003
Download Display Driver Uninstaller
Driver Sweeper is an application designed specifically for installing and updating drivers, the uninstall function of this software is secondary. It is important to note that at the time of this writing, all databases with drivers are very outdated, so the application cannot be used for its intended purpose.
After selecting the uninstall software option from the menu, the interface will display a list of all drivers installed on the computer. Accordingly, only the necessary ones should be selected from it, and then the uninstallation process should be started. nine0003
Similar to the previous program, Driver Sweeper also records all actions performed in a separate event log. You can even download it later as a standard text file. There is also a function to restore the previous version of the driver, if errors occur during the uninstallation procedure. All interface text is translated into Russian.
Download Driver Sweeper
Unlike all previous programs, Driver Fusion is a professional driver solution. The program is distributed on a paid basis and provides a lot of opportunities to work with the software. In addition to the driver removal function, there are also installation and update search tools. If necessary, you can create restore points from the application interface. There is a translation into Russian, but it was done poorly, as evidenced, for example, by the section titled «Driver driver» .
Uninstalling drivers is carried out in the classical way — a list of all installed components is provided, from which you should select the one you need to uninstall. For convenience, each software product is divided into categories, respectively, you should look for the AMD driver in section «Video Adapters» . Before cleaning, it is recommended to use the built-in function to create restore points. In case of any malfunctions after performing the procedure, this will allow you to roll back the state of the computer to the moment it was initialized. nine0003
Download Driver Fusion
Note! We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the function of creating system checkpoints separately, since Windows has built-in recovery tools. This will allow you to eliminate problems that have arisen in the process of working at the computer at any time. There are a number of articles on this site on this topic, available at the links below.
How to create a restore point in Windows 10 / 8 / 7
How to roll back Windows 10 / 8 / 7 to restore point
How to delete a restore point in Windows 7
Driver Booster is a professional software for installing and updating drivers. It has a bright stylistic design, not overloaded with information, all important controls are centrally located and highlighted for better visual reading. The driver removal function is secondary, so all the relevant tools for this are in a separate additional menu on the sidebar. Uninstallation is performed by first selecting the desired driver, and all actions are performed automatically. Once completed, you will be prompted to restart your computer, which is recommended. nine0003
It is important to note that before performing any serious operation, the program offers to create a checkpoint in case an error occurs. After uninstalling a driver, you can immediately install a new one; Driver Booster has an impressive software database with up-to-date driver versions. The application has a translation into Russian, it is convenient to use, but the full range of functions is available only in the paid version. Although free is enough to complete the task. nine0003
Download Driver Booster
Driver Easy is a multifunctional program for working with drivers. Its main profile is the installation and updating of software, but it is also possible to uninstall it. This procedure is performed in a special menu «Tools» , you will need to select the desired AMD driver from the list and click the button to delete. It is strongly recommended that you first use the «Driver Backup» function to create backup copies of the driver being removed for later restoration in case of errors. nine0003
Driver Easy runs in the background and constantly scans the system for outdated drivers when connected to the internet. If they are found, you will be prompted to update. You can also work with the program without a network connection, but in this case you will need to download the entire application database to your computer, which will subsequently take up a lot of disk space. Basic functions such as installing, updating and uninstalling drivers are provided free of charge, but more flexibility in the use of the software is available only after purchasing the full version. nine0003
Download Driver Easy from the official website
Device Cleanup Tool
Device Cleanup Tool is a small utility designed specifically to remove unnecessary drivers installed on your computer. Cleans not only the software files themselves, but also the corresponding keys in the system registry. It is important to note that it will be possible to uninstall AMD video card drivers only if the video chip has been removed from the computer.
The application interface looks minimalistic. After starting, you will need to wait a while until the system scan is completed, then a list of devices that are not connected to the computer, but there are entries about them in the registry, will appear. You will need to select the one you need and initialize the uninstallation process. Before using the Device Cleanup Tool, it is recommended to study the user manual posted on the official website of the developer. Since the utility makes changes to the system registry, the risk of related errors increases. It is important to be aware of which entries can be deleted and which do not need to be touched, otherwise the computer may fail. nine0003
Download Device Cleanup Tool from the official website
Note! In case of problems with the registry of the operating system, it should be restored. This can be done both with the built-in Windows tools and with the help of third-party software. There is a separate article on our website dedicated to this topic.
Read more: How to restore the system registry in Windows 10 / 7
How to completely remove AMD video card drivers from a computer
Modern versions of Windows do not usually require drivers to be installed because they are included in the system registry by default. Installing updated components for your AMD graphics card may be required by avid gamers to improve performance and get new features. After installing updates, the user may encounter various problems, for example, the new version conflicts with the game or its incorrect operation is observed. To avoid such situations, it is better to first completely remove the AMD video card drivers from the computer. How to do this using standard and special methods will be described later. nine0003
Removal using standard Windows tools
In many situations, it is not necessary to download and install special utilities to solve this problem. You can remove old AMD video card drivers using standard tools. The first method involves using the «Toolbar». To do this, perform the following steps:
- The Start menu opens the Control Panel, in which you need to select the Uninstall a Program tab. nine0006
- The user will see a list of applications and components installed on the computer.
- The driver for the AMD Radeon graphics card is also often listed here. To remove it from the system, you will need to hover over its name and right-click. In the menu that opens, select the «Edit» command. If the installer runs without errors, the deactivation will proceed without problems and take a few seconds.
In some cases, video adapter files cannot be found using the described method. In this case, you will need to clean up using the task manager or special utilities. It is possible to completely remove the AMD driver through the «Device Manager», because the program displays all components, even those that the system recognizes as unknown. It is recommended to proceed in this way:
- To open the «Device Manager», you must simultaneously press the Win + R keys, then enter the command «devmgmt.msc» without quotes and press the Enter key.
- The Manager can also be opened in another way — using the control panel.
- The next step is to open the Display Adapters tab, then double-click on the desired video adapter. The list that appears should show two components.
- A new window will open, recommending that you select the Driver tab. All information about the system file will be indicated here: version, signature, development date, vendor, and so on. nine0006
- To completely uninstall the AMD Radeon video card drivers, you must activate the «Uninstall» button located at the very bottom of the dialog box.
How to update devices
Each user can make their computer work easier. For this, special programs are provided that have a universal set of various functions. In the case when the old drivers for the AMD video adapter have been removed, and the user cannot find new components, an alternative solution is to use the Driver Pack Solution application. The interface is quite simple, it will be clear even to inexperienced users. The program can be downloaded for free directly from the developer’s website. nine0003
Using Driver Pack Solution, you can find system files for any components, even for the newest or outdated hardware. There are two download options: online or offline. In the first case, the application works directly with the developers’ servers. In the second case, you will need to download a file about 11 GB in size.
The advantages of the utility include a quick search for the necessary files, their automatic installation and updating. The only drawback is that unnecessary software is often installed, so the user will need to specify which components should be installed. nine0003
Reinstallation using special tools
The cleaning process using standard methods does not always bring satisfactory results. It happens that the process is interrupted, and an error message appears in front of the user. In this case, you should use a specialized utility to remove the AMD Radeon video card driver. For example, Display Driver Uninstaller. With this program, you can completely remove drivers for video cards such as Intel, AMD, nVidia and others. nine0003
After downloading and installing the utility, you will need to run it. This may take about 30 seconds, as the program immediately determines the list of all installed components. DDU will prompt the user for a startup mode, it is recommended to specify «Normal». Advanced users can reboot the Windows 7 or 10 system, start Safe Mode and use it to remove the old AMD video card drivers. After starting the utility, the user will need:
- Specify the video driver and select the «Recommended» mode.