MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 Released with Support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series and AMD Radeon RX 7900 Series Graphics Cards
Welcome!Log into your account
Forgot your password?
Recover your password
Guru3D and MSI have apparently been hard at work on a new version of Afterburner, the overclocking utility that has been described by some as being the “gold standard,” per the official Afterburner site, and now, it’s available to download. According to the changelog shared by Guru3D, MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 comes with support for newer graphics cards, including NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 40 Series, “experimental support” for newer AMD and Intel CPUs, clock frequency limit changes, and much more. Guru3D has warned that only Guru3D.com and MSI.com are legally allowed to distribute MSI Afterburner, including Rivatuner statistics server, Rivatuner CORE application, and RTSS-related files.
- Added NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40×0 series graphics cards support
- Added voltage control support for GA103 and GDDR6x based versions of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
- Added AMD RADEON RX 7900 series graphics cards support
- Added total board power monitoring support for AMD RADEON RX 7900 series graphics cards
- Added some future AMD and NVIDIA GPU PCI DeviceIDs to hardware database
- Added Intel Arc GPUs support to hardware monitoring module. Please take a note that Intel Arc GPUs overclocking and tuning is currently not supported due to Intel hardware control API support limitation to x64 applications only
- Added experimental support for Intel 13th generation CPUs
- Added experimental support for AMD Ryzen 7xxx CPUs
- CPU usage data sources in hardware monitoring module have been switched to alternate implementation based on NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorIdleInformation), because traditional legacy idle time reporting in NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorPerformanceInformation) is broken in current Windows 11 22h3 builds
- Added workaround for broken fixed fan speed programming API (Overdrive 5 compatible fallback path) for old Overdrive 7 GCN GPUs on 22. 5.2 and newer AMD drivers
- Added config file switch for disabling native reliability voltage control API on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 9×0 series graphics cards and forcing legacy P-state 2.0 voltage control API usage on such hardware. Power users may use this switch to bypass voltage control lock on NVIDIA Maxwell series graphics cards on release 515 and newer drivers families
- Improved correction formula parser with data format conversion, rounding and min/max functions support
- Added OCMailbox based bus clock frequency monitoring for Skylake and newer Intel CPUs. Unlike traditional legacy timestamp clock based bus clock frequency estimations, OCMailbox provides support for overclocked BCLK monirtoring. Please take a note that access to OCMailbox is blocked by design of OS when HVCI is enabled
- Improved SMART.dll monitoring plugin. Added temperature monitoring support for NVMe devices, including the secondary controller temperature for some Samsung NVMe drives
- Default clock frequency limit of voltage/frequency curve editor window has been extended to 3. 5GHz. Please take a note that you may still customize the limits via config file if necessary
- Update server location changed to new URL inside update checking system. Old update server location reached EOL
RivaTuner Statistics Server has been upgraded to v7.3.4
- New version’s changes list is huge, it includes more than 100 compatibility enhancements, changes and new features. We continue improving OverlayEditor plugin and the most of improvements are related to it, we strongly recommend you to try it if you still use legacy MSI Afterburner’s On-Screen Display output functionality
- New version also includes upgraded DesktopOverlayHost utility, which can be used to display overlay right on your Windows desktop or on small external display mounted inside PC case similar to AIDA64’s SensorPanel
From a Guru3D post:
SI Afterburner is the ultimate graphics card utility, developed by the Guru3D RivaTuner team. The Beta releases sometimes have an expiration limit, the stable and final build releases do not. We always recommend using a final build. We have written a GeForce GTX series overclocking guide right here as over time a number of things changed like Curve based tweaking as well as automated tweaking. Not just that, we have also updated RTSS, our statistics server that enables the overlay with MSI AfterBurner to offer DirectX 12 overlay support. Please read the full release notes for all changes (as there are quite a few of them). Have fun tweaking. Does your overlay not work anymore after an update? Please perform a full uninstall of RTSS and AfterBurner (with profiles removal) and then perform a CLEAN install of it.
Join the discussion for this post on our forums…
How to Overclock AMD GPU with MSI Afterburner: Properly Done / No Errors
‘How to Overclock AMD GPU with MSI Afterburner’ “2022”: The demand for video cards in the component market is due to two main factors. Firstly, this is the popularity of the gaming industry, which is growing every day and, at the same time, the sad situation with the optimization of modern computer games. Secondly, this is the ubiquity of a relatively new type of activity – cryptocurrency mining. However, annual computer upgrades are quite expensive, so the question of how to overclock a video card becomes extremely relevant.
MAD MAX Gameplay | Mad Max gameplay Walkthrough Part 1 | [1080p HD 60FPS ]
1 General information
2 Why overclock your video card
3 How to overclock an Nvidia graphics card
4 How to overclock an AMD card
4.1 The overclocking process is carried out as follows:
5 How to properly overclock your graphics card with MSI Afterburner
6 How to overclock a graphics card on a laptop
7 How to overclock a video card for mining
8 Where can I download a program for overclocking a video card
9 Safe overclocking of the video card to the maximum: 2022
9. 1 Related posts:
The process of overclocking a video card is called overclocking and implies a forced increase in hardware performance. In turn, the power of the card depends on the frequencies of the graphics core, video memory and shader units.
When the load on the video card increases, its power consumption also increases – this means that it must be provided with a good cooling system and a sufficiently powerful power supply.
Happy owners of laptops are strongly discouraged from carrying out such operations. Mobile chips are extremely vulnerable to overheating, so it may well be that instead of increasing computer performance, you will have to take it in for expensive repairs.
Why overclock your video card
Often overclocking of a video card is carried out for the following reasons:
- Component speed increase. Perhaps the most common reason why users resort to this procedure. This is the most effective way to increase FPS in both games and other 3D programs.
- Budget savings. For example, in a series of mid-range video cards, manufacturers artificially limit performance. This is done in order to maintain a high level of sales of expensive flagship models. Therefore, it makes sense to purchase a more budget option and overclock it to the level of a top-end video card.
- Earnings. The growth of the cryptocurrency exchange rate over the past 10 years has increased significantly, which is why the demand for mining equipment has also increased. The increase in computing power also leads to an increase in actual profits.
The benefit that comes with overclocking a video card also comes with a risk for the user. Continuously running at higher clock speeds can cause the card to overheat and shorten its lifespan.
How to overclock an Nvidia graphics card
How to overclock an Nvidia graphics card
Before moving on to active overclocking, it is necessary to diagnose the video card and find out its parameters when operating in normal mode. For these purposes, the free GPU-Z utility is suitable. The program is not Russified, but the interface is simple and intuitive.
After starting the utility, a window with detailed information about the graphics card will appear. The following parameters are used to increase performance:
- GPUClock – shows the frequency of the graphics core;
- Shader – shows the frequency of shader blocks;
- Memory – shows the frequency of the video memory of the video adapter.
Nvidia Inspector is a portable free overclocking program for NVidia video cards released by the manufacturer. The utility does not require pre-installation, therefore, immediately after launching, in the window that appears, you must click on the “ShowOverclocking” button, which opens a panel of additional parameters.
At the beginning, we raise two interrelated parameters – ShaderClock and GPUClock. It is recommended to increase the frequency by no more than 15-20% of the factory settings. To save the options, you need to click the “ApplyClocks&Voltage” button.
Before increasing the frequency of the video memory, you should make sure that the video card is stable with the new settings by running a test for processing 3D data. This can be done using the FurMark benchmark program by running the “Burn-In Test” mode.
If no graphical artifacts appear on the screen during testing of the set parameters, then the adapter works stably. Otherwise, if there are signs of unstable operation, or the temperature of the video card exceeds 90 degrees, the test should be stopped. The procedure is repeated with a gradual decrease in frequency settings until the video adapter works stably.
Next, we return to the Nvidia Inspector utility window and do the same steps with increasing the frequency of the video memory.
Upon completion of the selection of optimal operating frequencies, it remains to increase the voltage of the graphics card for its subsequent stable operation. This can be done using the “Voltage” parameter by moving the slider to the right by one division.
The last step is to create a file with the specified settings, upon launching which the video card will switch from the normal mode to the overclocked one. To do this, just click “CreatClocksChortcut”, which will create a file with parameters on the desktop.
If you wish, you can place the created file in the “Startup” folder, so that the Nvidia graphics card will be automatically overclocked when the computer starts.
How to overclock an AMD card
How to overclock an AMD card
Overclocking an AMD video card can be done using standard tools that are in the OverDrive or WattMan driver package.
First you need to update the AMD driver, as the latest software version implies more stable operation of the hardware. As a program for testing the capabilities of a video adapter, it is recommended to use 3DMark or FurMark benchmarks.
The overclocking process is carried out as follows:
- Go to “Radeon Settings”, “Games”.
- Open “Global Settings” and go to the tab “Global Wattman” (or “OverDrive”, depending on the installed drivers).
- First you need to increase the power consumption of the graphics adapter. You can do this in the “Limited power consumption” section by moving the slider to the right side by several divisions. After that, we save the changes.
- Then begins a long process of gradually increasing the frequencies of the core and video memory. After saving the changes, launch the 3DMark or FurMark program and start testing the card.
- If artifacts appear on the screen in the form of freezes, flashes and other signs of unstable operation, we cancel the test. We reduce the frequency and carry out the same operations until the optimal settings for overclocking are found.
If desired, you can also overclock the monitor. In the settings you need to open the “Display” section and create a new custom resolution. In the “Screen refresh rate” item, you need to gradually raise the number of Hz.
MSI Afterburner is another overclocking software for AMD graphics cards that will allow you to more accurately increase performance using advanced options.
How to properly overclock your graphics card with MSI Afterburner
How to properly overclock your graphics card with MSI Afterburner
MSI Afterburner is a tool for overclocking Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. Due to the extended functionality and user-friendly interface, it is one of the most popular programs among overclockers.
The functionality of this software includes:
- monitor the status of the graphics adapter;
- voltage regulation of video memory and GPU;
- fan speed control;
- the ability to create up to five personal overclocking profiles;
- video recording.
You can download the program for overclocking a video card from the official MSI website. When you start MSI Afterburner, a window with the main parameters of the graphics card opens. At the beginning, you should go to the utility settings and configure the compatibility properties.
Procedure for overclocking:
- Core Clock (MHz). Move the slider to the right side by 40-45 MHz and click “Apply”. This is followed by a stability check using 3DMark or FurMark. In the absence of artifacts, we again increase the core frequency by 20 MHz, followed by testing the video card. If desired, when the maximum frequency level is found, it can be lowered by 10 MHz to ensure more stable operation.
- Memory Clock (MHz). Overclocking video memory is carried out according to the same principle as overclocking the core. The first time we increase the value by 40-45 MHz, the second and subsequent times – by 20 MHz.
After completing all the steps, the received settings can be saved in the profile and configured to be activated by hotkeys.
How to overclock a graphics card on a laptop
how to overclock hp laptop
Measures for overclocking a video card on a laptop are exactly the same as on a personal computer. Programs are used to improve performance and subsequent testing.
It should be borne in mind that if there is enough free space in the system unit of a personal computer to install additional cooling, then in a laptop all components fit quite tightly to each other.
In addition, after the equipment is overclocked, there is an increased energy consumption, which in turn leads to an increase in temperature. Therefore, before the procedure, it is recommended to clean the computer from dust and replace the thermal paste.
How to overclock a video card for mining
How to overclock a video card for mining
Mining (from the English “mining” is translated as “mining”) is the so-called process of generating cryptocurrency coins by performing various mathematical calculations of hash functions carried out during transactions using the nodes of the currency network. Carrying out such calculations requires a large amount of computing power, so mining farms are used to generate new coins, which are computers with several high-performance video cards.
With the development of one or another cryptocurrency, the process of its extraction becomes more complicated, as a result of which the growth of the computing power required to carry out complex mathematical calculations also increases. Therefore, many miners are trying to extend the profitability of their farms by overclocking graphics cards.
With a properly tuned performance growth and favorable forecasts associated with the existence of cryptocurrency, the possible profit can increase by about 20%. Still, the figure is individual and depends on many factors.
It is worth considering that an increase in production capacity will reduce the life of graphics cards by about a third.
In the case of PC games, the process of overclocking was to increase performance, which always led to an increase in power consumption. When overclocking equipment for mining, users are primarily interested in increasing the power of the graphics adapter and reducing its consumption. This is due to the fact that when mining cryptographic currency in intensive mode, the graphic cores of the card are not used.
For overclocking during mining, a standard set of tools is used:
- GPU-Z utility for displaying the characteristics of a graphics adapter;
- MSI Afterburner software for boosting clock rates.
For the extraction of one or another cryptocurrency, graphics adapters from different manufacturers are used. For example, for mining the Ethereum currency, it is more profitable to use equipment from Radeon, for ZCASH – from Nvidia.
For clarity, before overclocking, it is recommended to start the mining process and monitor the change in indicators. The main characteristic that affects the amount of mined cryptocurrency is the frequency of the RAM. It is this indicator that needs to be brought to the maximum level of its capabilities.
Further, power consumption decreases through the CoreClock indicator to the left, while taking into account information on the number of mega hashes. As practice shows, the reduction in energy consumption can be 20-25%.
If desired, you can reduce the speed of rotation of the fans of the card, since with less power consumption, the video adapter will heat up less.
In the settings of MSI Afterburner, in the “General” section, there is an option “Start with Windows”, which must be activated in order to automatically run the file when the system is turned on.
Where can I download a program for overclocking a video card
All the necessary software can be downloaded both from the official websites of manufacturers and using a torrent client.
Benchmarks for performance tests are available for purchase on Steam. They can be downloaded from third-party resources for free, but there is a high probability of picking up malicious files.
Safe overclocking of the video card to the maximum: 2022
Immediately upon startup, you will see the main operating menu of the software. It is quite simple and can be quickly understood.
If you have several video cards, you should select the appropriate one in the center menu. This must be done if you have a “farm” for mining cryptocurrencies.
The Core Voltage (mV) slider is responsible for the power consumption of the card. With it, you can adjust this indicator. The lower the slider, the lower the power consumption.
Below you will see the Curve Editor item. After clicking on it, the frequency / voltage curve editor will open in front of you. It will be useful to you in the future. Voltage is at the bottom and frequency is at the top.
First you need to unscrew the Temp Limit slider to the maximum. This should be done so that the video card does not reduce the frequencies when the temperature rises.
Next, you need to enable the high resolution benchmark in order to upload the card. In this case Unigine Heaven 4.0 is used. This is done to identify the operating frequency of the model, as well as the voltage set for it by the manufacturer. It is displayed in the column opposite the «Volt» item. You need to remember this number.
You will also see how hot the graphics card is. Without closing the benchmark, you should press the combination Ctrl + F. After that, the frequency curve will open in front of you.
Here you should find the starting point that was obtained under load. Next, you should equalize the voltage under it. This will lock these metrics so that they don’t increase while apps are running.
Next, switch to the lower points. We pull them up one at a time, and also simultaneously monitor the benchmark. If it starts to slow down or closes completely, then this will be evidence of too high voltage. You need to return 1 or even 2 previous points back. So you set the voltage, which will ensure the stable operation of the video card.
You can also tweak the fan settings. This will lower the temperature of the video card by a few more degrees. Next, you need to save your profile. To do this, click on the floppy disk icon.
Do not forget to check the box in the settings so that the saved profile is automatically activated with the system. Otherwise, all the work done will be meaningless. You can run the program automatically in a minimized state.
After setting, be sure to click on the Windows icon, which is located in the upper right corner of the utility. Now all your settings will be automatically activated when you turn on your computer. If you do not save the profile, then all the data will have to be entered again.
We recommend that you start testing with good airflow for the graphics card. The program under consideration allows flexible configuration of the cooler. For example, at low temperatures, it can be completely turned off, and when heated to 100 degrees, it can work at 100%. To adjust, go to the settings and select the «Cooler» tab. Here is the item «Enable programmatic user mode». Focus on the ratio of 60/80 and 70/95. Then the fan will respond correctly to temperature changes.
When undervolting in MSI, do not remove power limits. Otherwise, you will not be able to go beyond the Power Limit indicators set by the manufacturer, as well as the temperature limit.